The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Corporate Services (CS) - Information Technology (IT) – Business Services Department (BSD) – Enterprise Applications Division (EA) – Treasury and Borrowing Unit (T&B) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
Senior Project Manager (Core Banking)
This is a full time position
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Senior Project Manager (Core Banking) (internally referred to as (Senior) Officer/Analyst) will manage large implementation/upgrade projects that are primarily related to the Bank’s core banking application WallstreetSuite.
The role includes the definition of long-term strategies and priorities, project leadership responsibilities and the management of budgets. The incumbent will specifically be assigned to one of IT’s largest projects, involving multiple internal and external stakeholders and several hundreds of man-days of work, in parallel with other smaller-scale activities.
S/he will report to the Head of the Treasury and Borrowings Unit (T&B), within the Enterprise Applications Division (EA) which is in charge of projects, maintenance and production activities, around banking packages in the areas of Treasury, Borrowings, Loans, Collateral Management, Settlements, Payments and Market Data.
Internally, s/he will cooperate with Business User representatives from Front/Middle/Back-Office, Risk Management and Financial Control departments. S/he will also liaise with counterparties from other IT application teams, operations, engineering. Externally, s/he will deal with software vendors and external package integration experts.
The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for:
- Contributing to define the policies for the Bank’s core banking application WallstreetSuite with regard to the short, medium and long term, in order to ensure that the overall IT strategy and policies meet the business strategy of the organisation and internal/external IT trends and developments
- Ensuring that IT policies and initiatives in own domain are implemented and key operational processes are run in the most effective and efficient way
- Taking responsibility and initiative for project management responsibilities to deliver large projects and coordinate with business users and other IT technical teams
- Developing and fostering project management best practice within the Unit, working closely with IT’s Transversal Project Management and Programme Management Office Units
- Coordinating a team of external business and/or IT consultants.
- Participating in the preparation of business cases and project charters in collaboration with users, and managing projects
- Proposing and designing technical solutions consistent with business requirements and IT architecture
- Taking responsibility for carrying out development and maintenance of the applications in the scope of the Unit
- Leading project progress meetings with business counterparts and IT peers, preparing dashboards for Steering Committees
- Managing contracts and invoices with external service providers according to purchasing procedures
- Providing specific advice and recommendations on Information Solutions in the assigned functional area if requested in order to foster optimal usage of IT applications and ensure that applications are conceived, built and managed in line with EIB requirements and EIB/IT standards and methodologies
- Full University degree, preferably in computer science
- A degree or certificate in banking or finance would be an advantage
- A Project Management Certification, either Prince2 or PMP/PMI would be an advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in the management of projects and applications in production, in a mixed IT / Finance environment
- Experience in managing large projects (> 1,000 m-d)
- Good experience in functional analysis, preferably in the financial sector
- Experience with one or more Banking packages such as ION WallStreet Suite, FIS/Sungard Apex, FrontArena, Murex, Calypso, Misys, Summit, Temenos, Sophis
- Experience with relational databases and scripting languages (e.g. Unix shell, Perl, Python, Visual Basic, SQL) would be an advantage
Key technical/professional knowledge and skills
- Excellent knowledge of project management principles, methods and practices
- Good knowledge of financial activities and processes
- Strong interest to acquire new business knowledge
- Very good communication skills (within teams and at various hierarchical levels)
- Good knowledge of package customisation and interfacing techniques
- Technical knowledge of information systems, including the design, development, implementation and maintenance of business-related solutions
- Excellent knowledge of English and French(*), with a good knowledge of the other.
EIB core competencies
- Achievement Drive: Continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement for particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages.
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability
- SOA Analyst and Project Manager
- (Associate) IT Project Manager / Business Analyst
- Risk Management IT Project Managers