Mondelez International LLC is a US$26 billion snacking powerhouse with operations in more than 80 countries and our brands marketed in 165 countries. It’s a great time to join us; we employ over 100,000 people around the world and are a company full of the world’s favourite brands - Cadbury Dairy Milk, Philadelphia and The Natural Confectionery Company to name just a few. As well as the countless opportunities our business brings, we have fantastic people who do amazing things for our business and their own careers, every day.
The role is seating in the AMEA Chocolate Engineering Leadership Team responsible for planning and execution of projects for the ANZ and China cluster including capex and cash flow management. The cluster includes Claremont, Ringwood, Suzhou East and chocolate technical support for Scoresby with the introduction of chocolate enrobed starch molding in early 2018.
This job is accountable for developing the site master plans (strategic sourcing, capacity and capability development to support NPD, facility and asset long-range plans) for two or more geographically clustered plants as outlined above.
Collectively these plants will represent capital investment (between $20 to $50 MM USD) along with up to 10 engineering direct reports. This job is also accountable for ensuring engineering leadership for existing lines driving the technical agenda towards 85% Global Line Efficiency and 100% Vertical Start-up of new lines as well as leading the development and execution of new initiatives in line with the site and network SCR / FoF and master plans.
This role is the Master of engineering principles and processes with thorough understanding of business and financial drivers
- Leads, alongside R&D, innovative, step change Engineering solutions applying design for six sigma (DFSS) tools to ensure world class performance and seamless execution
- Has expert project management, capital planning skills and is capable to align Business goals into Engineering design
- Initiate concept engineering, scope development, cost estimations, plant layouts.
- Responsible to set up performance based specifications applying best practices.
- Leads AR preparation and vendor selection and project execution
- Works in a global environment therefore a high degree of interpersonal, cross cultural, influential and conflict management skills are required
The role supports and leads global and regional engineering platforms working towards standardized line designs. In addition the role will support the development and execution of Global Big Bets in both ANZ and China markets, where ANZ continues to be a lead market for Chocolate innovation including Marvelous Creations, CDM Oreo, Dark Milk, MC Spiders, etc,
This role leads and champions the development of required skills within plant engineering teams through technical and project managerial capabilities upgrade and coaching to ensure initiatives are managed at a high level of efficiency, quality and employee safety.
As part of the Integrated Lean 6 Sigma (IL6S) implementation the role owns and leads the ‘Innovation Initiative Pillar (IIM)’ which is one of eleven pillars of IL6S being responsible for Vertical Start Up management and Technical Readiness in all initiatives. In leading the IIM Pillar, this role advanced leadership tools promoting cultural change throughout the organization through functional capability building and driving/applying IL6S work processes.
Strategic Planning and leadership for the cluster
- Develop and execute site master plans for the cluster plants that will enable growth, innovation and efficiency and promote the roll out of a high performance work environment.
- Develop a capital roadmap that is informed by the manufacturing strategy and the commercial roadmap
- Implement best in class technology and capability (benchmarking conversion costs and technology platforms)
- Assess internal manufacturing capability supporting optimum sourcing decisions for innovation and capacity in cooperation with Business Development partners
- Creation of flexibility and capability with focus on zero losses and 100% engagement
- Initiate step change productivity planning leveraging technology and asset through translation of loss analysis into initiatives filling the funnel for the plants profit sustaining and enhancing project portfolio. As such prioritizing budget for maximum return of investment.
- Drive competitive advantaged cost structures through the development and roll out of standards in cooperation with the regional/global engineering organization.
- Development and roll out of break through ideas in close cooperation with cross-functional partners on site and regional level including Research Development & Quality, Procurement and related functions to support strategies
- Responsible for all cluster capital investment initiatives and as such for achieving the plants Compelling Business Need (CBN) including safety, service, cash flow, productivity and growth targets.
- Lead cross functional project development and coordination
- Lead multi – functional teams and task forces of technical functions to drive world class efficiency and safety
- Lead projects towards Vertical Start Up (lead through project life cycle with zero loss mentality when it comes to safety, quality and efficiency as well as 100% engagement)
- Coordination of manufacturing, engineering and supply chain resources to ensure successful execution of all deliverables of project management (safety, cash flow, etc.)
- OEM relationship management on project and initiative basis
- Build strong project management capability within the plant engineering team through adequate training plans, coaching and mentoring. Ensure strong linkage to regional and global capability building teams leveraging available programs to drive team development.
- Deliver equipment designs according to IL6S requirements (AM step3, PM step 2)
- Use Integrated Lean 6 Sigma tools and practices and ensure Early Management process steps are in place.
- Coordinate and facilitate change management processes within the global engineering community to drive standards linking with technology platforms. Maintain the Maintenance Prevention Database.
- Build capability on site level required to ensure Vertical Start up:
- Own the implementation of the cluster IIM Pillar through building pillar capability and governance as a first and project team capabilities as a second step.
- Ensure and manage the competence and skills development for asset hand-over and care (part of Technology transfer and training of new initiatives)
- New Product Launch and Modification
- Lead technical assessments, capability studies and capital execution for new product launches and modification in cooperation with key partners namely Business Development, Research and Development, Procurement
- Lead breakthrough thinking bringing new ideas and possibilities. Lead new equipment and/or process development
- Support harmonization of manufacturing processes and de-complexity of product portfolio working with Business Development partners
- Customer / Consumer focus & service
- Develop the technical agenda from business and consumer needs, transforming business needs into realizable propositions
- Develop technical proposals to enhance line capability with target to ensure optimal utilization of plant capacities, while fulfilling strategic plans
- Internal customer focus driving the Maintenance Prevention (MP) process for ongoing improvement of standards and 100% engagement
- People Leadership
- Leads a team of 10 direct reports and 30 indirect reports. Responsible for individual people development, team effectiveness and providing coaching and guidance to the wider team
- Identifies training requirements and ensures adequate training is in place for pillar and team members
- Communicates plans and information to staff and follow through on all commitments
- Accountable for teams performance management, discipline and development
- Coordination with multiple plants and multiple operation teams
- Ensure site master plans according to the CBN of each site in the cluster
The ideal candidate
- University Degree or equivalent further education qualification in relevant discipline.
- Proven Project Management skills
- Fluency with computer applications such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, AutoCAD, project management software and ERP systems (e.g. SAP).
- Qualified in IL6S with focus on IIM
- Customer Focus
- Building effective teams
- Drive for Results
- Problem solving
- Organizational Agility
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Business Acumen
- Decision Quality
- Managing and measuring work
- Change management
- Flexibility in working location within the Cluster
- Flexibility in working location within the Region
- 10+ years of Project Management experience
- Experience working across multiple countries and regions
- Good knowledge in confectionery and snacks technology and suppliers of respective equipment
- ISC relevant experience (plant management)
- Training or mentoring experience
- Experience in IL6S with focus on IIM
- Experience in designing equipment to meet AM and PM standards
Languages: Good spoken and written English is essential for this role.
Claremont or Ringwood, Australia