Summary As a Field Software Engineer you will be responsible for supporting customers/clients and internal departments with the AGV control software, hardware and its related uses. This would include, but is not limited to installing software at customer/client sites, commissioning vehicles, creating and troubleshooting vehicle routes and traffic rules, calibrating vehicles, analysing software issues in the field, programming/installing/troubleshooting PLCs and writing training and technical documentation. The position requires strong troubleshooting, support and software competency skills with some proficiency in electro-mechanical systems. Given that we have a global customer/client base, you must be willing to travel and stay abroad for several weeks at a time, as you will be responsible for the successful installation at the customer/client site. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Installation, commissioning and handover of AGVs to the customer/client at their site
- Troubleshooting software issues and either providing fixes or interfacing with the software engineering group to provide fixes
- Testing the application software and interfaces to the vehicle;
- Calibrating, commissioning and testing vehicles
- Troubleshooting wireless/wired networks; and electro-mechanical vehicle issues
- Programming, installing and troubleshooting PLCs
- Providing second tier software support to customers/clients
- Creating, analyzing and troubleshooting vehicle routes and traffic rules to optimize material flow
- Writing training and support documentation
- Continuously improving our processes and procedures to optimize development efficiency
CompetenciesTo perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyses information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Education and/or Experience
- Technical Bachelor degree
- Technical School Degree or equivalent Software Support experience with a minimum of 2 years experience supporting technical applications software
Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams, and ability to troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems. Ability to write training documentation. Language Skills Excellent written and oral communications in English are essential. Written and oral communications in Dutch and/or German would be advantageous Reasoning Ability Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to act independently generating innovative solutions to complex solutions is desired. Computer SkillsTo perform this job successfully, an individual should have complete knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PeopleSoft, and be proficient in the use of Linux with some experience with Windows operating systems. It would also be advantageous to have knowledge of the following:
- Programming in a scripting language
- Mobile robots
- Issue tracking systems particularly Jira
- Versions control systems, particularly Subversion
- Integrating with enterprise systems such as databases, ERP systems and factory automation systems
- Programmable logic controllers (PLC’s)
- Testing software
Essential Job Functions The role requires a customer/client focused attitude, an ability to interact with customers/clients and to remain calm and professional in a demanding and dynamic work environment. The role requires willingness to travel abroad internationally for several weeks at a time during system installation. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Interested? Click here to send your CV to Maria